Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Silver Linings of COPD and Other Chronic Conditions


Though illness can be scary and unpleasant, there are spiritual gifts to be found in it.

Most people think of illness as inconvenient at best, tragic at worst.


We focus on what we are not doing: our normal daily routines, work, outings with friends, being physically active, time with family. Yes, illness is a time-out from our normal lives of health and activity, but it needn't be time 'lost.'


Illness can be a fertile time if you can focus your attention away from what you do not have, and focus on what it offers in abundance. Even if your illness is one from which you may not recover, making it a spiritual practice will imbue your journey with rich rewards. Follows are two ways to help turn physical infirmity into a sacred time of life.


Slow Down ~
"Healing happens in the slow lane," hospital chaplains tell patients. Think of life like film, 24 individual images moving rapidly in sequence to create the illusion of action. When illness makes you slow down, you have a rare opportunity to view each individual moment of your life on its own, and see how you unconsciously string moments together to create patterns of behavior. This new view gives you the chance to reorder moments into new and healthier patterns of behavior.For instance, when I was bedridden for 3 months last year with pneumonia, I realized how I had grown used to being able to rush to rescue someone with a problem. I spent my precious energy on others and thus depleted myself, contributing to my illness. Weak from illness, I couldn't rush to anyone's aid and had to rescue myself. It felt healthy and I've since made it my practice to give others a chance to resolve their own issues, and fix my own first.


Have A Beginner's Mind ~


"Part of my journey with cancer is giving myself opportunities to be a learner again," says musician Eileen Hadidian. "One of the most powerful ways to experience playing and teaching music without striving towards perfection is to become a beginner again on a new instrument. I let go of abstract expectations of having to achieve a goal by a certain time, and remember why I am taking lessons: for the joy of it."


For Eileen, her journey through cancer has taught her to let go of her attachment to product and outcome - the opposite of what she normally does as a professional musician. Now, she is experiencing the pleasure of music for her own healing.


By: Toni Weingarten

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luna's Note: What a marvelous way to think of it. Now my body is effected by the COPD so I must learn to play my new instrument ~ my changed body ~ I am a beginner with a new instrument. Wonder what surprises await in the learning of it?! Let me get about the business of getting acquainted with my new instrument and ascertain what it is capable of.


Blessings to all,

Luna

No comments: