Friday, March 21, 2008

HELPFUL HINTS LIVING WITH COPD

Hair Drying can be almost impossible for COPD'ers and, on some days, it IS impossible. Here is a helpful hint and it's not expensive either. While I'm at it, I'm adding some more help hints for us, too.

Hair Drying/Styling

Purchase a tabletop stand for your hair dryer. Sit in a chair and allow the hair dryer to blow your hair dry. This will also free one of your hands to make styling your hair easier.

Adjustable Hair Dryer StandAdjustable height hair dryer stand saves time styling and drying hair, leaves both hands free for combing, applying products, curling and more by supporting hair dryer in flexible gooseneck stand with Velcro strap.These can be found at Target.

Pantyhose
When donning pantyhose or girdles, try applying powder to your legs and thighs beforehand. This will absorb any moisture and allow the pantyhose or girdle to slide on easier.

Utility Cart
These are wonderful. Even my 02 delivery guy uses the one I have. It makes it so much easier for me. UPS and FedEx drop packages directly into my cart, too. So helpful. I just roll it from the garage into the house and unload the groceries, mail packages, whatever happens to be in there for me. Invest in a utility cart for your home. A cart can help you with many chores and the moving of objects from room to room. Use it for serving meals, carrying laundry, bringing in groceries, etc. (My FIL made mine from an old roll away stereo cabinet he had squirrelled away in his garage so it has a deep basin in it for the 02 deliveries and such. I love it.) I have 2 large dogs and I order their food each 2 weeks. The delivery comes via UPS or Fed Ex and is really heavy. One bag of the dry food is 35#, then there are the 4 cases of cans with 24 to a case. That's a lot of weight. UPS & Fed Ex put it in the cart and I can roll it around. Plus the cart is hip high on me so the deep bending is eliminated. It's all a team effort around here.

Toothbrushes
If you have difficulty grasping your toothbrush, try slipping a spongy curler or a piece of pipe insulation over the handle. If you do not have either of those, you can also wrap a clean washcloth around the handle and secure with rubber bands.

Humidity in shower
Showering
Turn on bathroom exhaust fans during showering. Exhaust fans should vent to the outside of your home. If you do not have an exhaust fan in your bathroom, have one installed where they can capture the most moisture. If possible, buy an exhaust fan that has its own timer switch so it can keep removing moisture after you have turned out the light.

I hope these help you as much as they help me....well I dont wear a girdle. LOL But the powder helps with slacks and shoes, too.

No comments: